Water Facts You May Not Have Known
  • Home
  • Blog
  • Water Facts You May Not Have Known

Water Facts You May Not Have Known

By In Blog On October 15, 2017


At Kinetico, we’re all about water. Our water softening and filtration systems allow us to bring you and your family soft, clean, pure water.

Nearly 85 percent of households in the US receive their water from public facilities, with the other 15 percent supplying their own from wells and natural springs. With water on the brain, here are a few interesting facts about water that you probably didn’t know.

  • The average adult human body is made up of somewhere between 50 and 65 percent water. This is even greater for newborns, where the average is about 80 percent.
  • A huge portion of the earth’s surface is covered by water – between 70 and 75 percent, to be precise. This totals up to about 326 million cubic miles. In addition, there is more water floating around in the earth’s atmosphere than in all the rivers on the planet put together.
  • A single gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds, with an entire cubic foot of water weighing about 62.4 pounds. An inch of water spread out over an acre of land will add up to an amazing 27,154 gallons, and will weigh an incredible 113 tons.
  • The United States use an average of 346 million gallons of fresh water per day. The average American uses about 75-100 of these gallons per day. The typical American household uses about 100,000 gallons of water each year.
  • On the flip side, there are an estimated 748 million people on earth without access to clean drinking water, a number that’s about 10 percent of the world’s population.
  • A healthy person can consume about three gallons of water per day, including both actual water drank and water contained in certain foods. Nearly every food or drink has at least some water content.
  • The average bathroom faucet is able to flow 2 gallons of water per minute. A dripping faucet leaking just a single drop per second can waste up to 3,000 gallons a year.
  • Pure water has a pH level of 7, meaning it is neither acidic nor basic. Water can also dissolve numerous substances and pH will often change as this happens due to the addition of minerals, chemicals and nutrients.

For more interesting facts on water, or to find out about our water filters and home water systems, speak to the experts at Kinetico today.


About the Author

Natalie Velasquez

Leave a comment